Rhinoplasty Surgery(Nose Job)
Rhinoplasty is the most common aesthetic intervention performed in Turkey. Rhinoplasty can change the size of your nose, the width of your nostrils, the angle between your nose and the upper lip, the malformations on the tip of the nose and nasal dorsum. It can also eliminate some breathing problems and correct congenital nasal deformities.
Due to its position right in the middle of the face, the nose is central to facial balance. Sometimes, even the smallest deformity of the nose is enough to cause the individual to feel bad about his/her appearance. Therefore, rhinoplasty helps eliminate negative thoughts about one’s appearance.
Before opting for rhinoplasty, ask yourself why you want to undergo this surgery and be clear about your expectations. Then discuss these with your doctor. The most suitable patients for rhinoplasty are not those looking for perfection, but those with realistic expectations for the improvement of their appearance.
It is very important to have a good communication with your doctor. During the first visit, your doctor will ask what your expectations are from the surgery. Then, after a detailed examination of your nose and face, s/he will inform you about the possibilities. The structure of your nasal bones and cartilage, the shape of your face, the thickness of your skin, your age and expectations are important elements to take into consideration and discuss with the doctor before undergoing the surgery. Also, age is an important factor for rhinoplasty. It is advisable to delay the surgery until the patient turns 18 years old because facial growth continues until this time.
Rhinoplasty is performed under general anaesthesia and generally takes between 1-3 hours. Closed or open technique may be used during rhinoplasty. While all the incisions are made in the intranasal region in the closed technique, in the open technique, a small incision is also made at the bottom of the nasal tip in addition to intranasal incisions. The technique is chosen depending on the required procedures to be performed and the experience of the surgeon.
After the surgery, to stop bleeding and support the shape of the nose from inside, nasal splints are used for 2 to 3 days. Beside, special bands and plastic splints are used for 6 to 8 days to maintain the shape of the nose.
After the surgery, swelling and bruises may occur around the nose and eyes. However, most of these disappear within 3 to 7 days. The patient is generally discharged from the hospital in 1 to 2 days.
Rhinoplasty requires deep anatomical knowledge on the nose, and expertise based on many years of training and surgical practice. Each surgery is unique to the patient so that the outcome is natural, suitable for the individual’s face and as unrecognizable as possible. Hence, choosing the right surgeon is essential for satisfactory results.
WHAT SHOULD YOU PAY ATTENTION TO AFTER THE SURGERY?
The healing period after rhinoplasty (nose job) requires time and patience. Postoperative care is as important as the surgery, and your active participation is necessary.
1. After the surgery, it may be impossible to breathe through your nose due to splints. Until the removal of the splints, you will have to breathe through your mouth. How long the splints will stay in your nose depends on the procedures performed in the nose.
2. To alleviate the dryness in your mouth caused by breathing through the mouth consume lots of water and light beverages. Do not use a straw.
3. Eat soft food which is easy-to-chew.
4. Use lip balm to keep your lips moist.
5. Do not use aspirin or blood thinners.
6. Sleep or rest with your head at a 30-degree angle. Remind yourself to hold your head up during the day, which will support your normal blood circulation and help reduce the postoperative swelling.
7. Do not blow your nose for cleaning and be careful not to hit your nose against something.
8. While brushing your teeth, be gentle and use a soft toothbrush.
9. After the surgery, avoid strenuous activities and exercises, bending forward, and lifting heavy things (especially your small children) for two weeks.
10. Avoid direct exposure to sunlight for one month and apply sunscreen before you go out.
11. You may feel numb on the tip of your nose and on your upper lip. Numbness will go away within a few weeks.
12. After the splints have been removed, you may clean your nose gently 2-3 times a day. Use a cotton swab after putting some of the prescribed ointment on its cotton part. Do not insert the cotton swab up through your nostril. Irrigate the intranasal area with the nasal spray recommended by your doctor for cleaning.
13. Once the splints are removed, your nose will get congested with the oedema of intranasal tissues and blood clots. This is a normal reaction of tissues to the surgery. Do not blow your nose for two weeks. When you have to sneeze and blow, do this gently with both nostrils open. Definitely keep your mouth open if you have to sneeze.
14. You may be surprised when you see your nose for the first time after the surgery. Remind yourself to be patient and realistic. Do not forget that your nose has undergone a surgical intervention and it will get better over time. Full recovery of your nose may require 6 to 12 months.
15. Following the surgery, do not wear glasses for three months.